Saturday, August 05, 2006

A Lovely Dinner

A few weeks ago my friend (and former student) Chalk (the smiling guy in the back) called me up and asked if Connie and I would like to go for dinner. Of course we accepted since Chaulk is one of the nicest guys I know here in Taiwan. He took us to what would best be called a Japanese-Style Steakhouse, where the focus was beef, but it was part of a long multi-course meal of light soups, salads and side-dishes, all of which were equisitely delicious. ( I would go there again in a second, and in fact did go there again 2 weeks later with Connie's family, but was too sick to appreciate it at the time.)

We were both catching up (since I hadn't seen Chalk in almost 5 months) and celebrating his new job at a local Biotech firm. Unfortunately his wife, Sunny is newly pregnant and can't be far from a bathroom at any given time, so she couldn't attend. In her place the woman next to Chalk is Sharon Lo, a lovely lady who Chalk introduced me to about 5 months previously and who has since become a good friend of mine as well.

Chalk invited us to come and see his family farm at some point in the future (he grew up on a farm) and Connie and I said we'd be delighted to. So hopefully we'll have pictures of Connie being a farmgirl to put up here in the near future!

Rob Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rob, Michael from Anime London sent me over to take a look at your blog. I was wondering what you think of Taiwan in general and specifically what you think about teaching English and how you ended up there (what qualifications you needed, how you found the job etc). I'm a student now but thinking about teaching English when I've finished my degree.

From what I can see here it looks like you are enjoying yourself :) All the best.

Robyn Paterson said...

Hey Bean,

If you want to teach overseas, Taiwan is probably one of the best places to come to. Japan has gotten really picky when it comes to teachers, South Korea is a real gamble as to the quality of the school, and China is still a little bit wild and you don't get paid well when you convert. (Unless the Chinese gov't decides to let their dollar go up, which isn't going to happen since they want it artifically low.)

In Taiwan you live in a 21st century country (well, in city), you get paid reasonably well, have great food, friendly locals (who don't hate anyone but each other) and it's easy to get in with a typical 3 or 4 year degree.

My advice to you is the same as it is to anyone else who wants to teach in Asia. For your first year sign on with one of the big chain schools (Kojen in Taiwan, or Dave's ESL, or Wall Street) because they're "safe" in that they won't rip you off, will pay you an average wages and might even help you find a place to stay. I work for Kojen myself, and I have to say that I'm one happy camper, as are most of the Kojen teachers I know. All these companies have recruitment websites, so try googling them and they'll have the requirements listed there. I came to Taiwan first and got my job through legwork, but most schools recruit through the net and over the phone these days too.

Also, hit Dave's ESL Cafe (google this name for the link) which is THE site on teaching English around the world.

If you need more specific advice contact me at rob_paterson@hotmail.com and I'll be happy to help.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Rob :) That's a really thorough answer.

It's still a while off yet - I'm in career change mode and my degree is all about having some time to consider my options - but it's useful to have an idea what's required so I have more choices when the time comes.

Glad to hear you are a happy camper, perhaps I'll see you around the Anime London forums.